Does the thought of following a commercial sewing pattern put you off making your own clothes?
Join me for this 2 day course, and learn how to understand and follow a commercial sewing pattern.
Day 1: Saturday 14th September 2019 10am-4pm
Day 2: Saturday 28th September 2019 10am-4pm
Venue: The Clay Factory, Redlake Trading Estate, Ivybridge, PL21 0EZ http://www.theclayfactory.co.uk
During this course you will make your own unique adaptation of the 1960’s Shift dress, and learn the following skills:
- Preparing your pattern pieces (accurately tracing off and cutting out)
- Understand standard sizing and measurements
- Understand pattern terminology and markings
- Learn how to layout pattern pieces correctly onto fabric, and be able to identify the grain line
- How to transfer pattern markings onto fabric using tailors tacks
- learn how to sew seam allowances accurately
- Use facings to neaten necklines and armholes
- Know how and when to use under-stitching
- Finish seams neatly and professionally
- Insert either an invisible or non invisible zip
- Hem your garment neatly and accurately
- Extras (depending on time/ability)
- Add patch pockets or side pockets
- Add a collar
- Add decorative buttons
You will take away a manual to remind you of everything you have learned.
Note: This is not an absolute beginners sewing course; you need to be able to thread and use a machine.